The Beginning of Oaklette UMC
In November 1883, the descendants of Mathew Hare sold a parcel of land for $1.00 to the Trustees of the Oaklette Chapel Methodist Episcopal Church, South for "a place of Divine Worship for the use of the ministry and membership of the Methodist Episcopal Church, South."
The church's organizer was Miss Fanny Whitehurst, daughter of James Whitehurst. She was concerned over the lack of religious training that was available in the immediate area. Her desire for a church was so strong that she used the old kitchen of the family house, which was located on the current site of the church, south of Indian River Road.
She used the kitchen from 1880 until 1883 when the Hare family descendants deeded a parcel on their land for the construction of the church. Their only demand was that the church be named "Oaklette" to honor their donation. The church building opened in 1884 and was located on Indian River Road in a grove of oak trees at the intersection of St. Lawrence Avenue.

Oaklette Chapel

A pew from Oaklette Chapel

Solace - Comfort 1